View Single Post
Old 09-22-14, 05:45 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Today's commute was interesting and different. One thing about working for a company making things that operate in environments that can go boom is they can order a random drug test. I got such a summons. So not only did I get to ride my bike to and from the office, I got to do an additional 10 mile round trip from Woburn to Wilmington. Total of 40 miles today. On this vintage machine, 1972 Peugeot UO8 which I bought new and have upgraded quite a bit:

It was humid and moderately warm to start the day, By midday (actually 1PM) when I rode off to Wilmington the sun was bright, the air dry and cool, and the wind strong. Same for the commute home, except it was cooler, almost but not quite chilly.

I know, most of you aren't especially "into" vintage bikes but I think they are cool. The UO8 was extraordinarily good for an inexpensive bike-boom bike, and Peugeot sold a zillion of them. If I didn't have a bunch of other good bikes I could be perfectly happy riding this one all the time (though it wouldn't be my choice for a hilly century!) I could lighten this further by removing the rack, lights, and generator, but I keep the lights for just such a use as commuting when the sun is low. The old Pug is going to see a lot more use this fall.