View Single Post
Old 09-23-14, 03:21 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
My coldest temperatures are rarely down to 0°F for my 14 mile one-way commute, when I wear the combination pictured below with cheapo fleece mittens. I generally wear single windproof fingered ski gloves though, sometimes with a thin inner knit pair. However, whenever wearing hand wear at any temperature, I also wear a pair of “wrist gaiters” made from athletic socks, to seal the wrists from any gaps between gloves and jacket.

I note that the skin of my covered forearms perspires from the additional warmth. I speculate that these wrist gaiters may further warm the blood flowing to my hands. Since wearing them, I haven’t had any hand problems, FWIW. Feet are another matter, my weakest link for winter riding.

Addendum: See also this preceding similar opinion:

Originally Posted by Al Criner
Try using some tennis wrist bands along with your gloves/mitts. If the pulse points in your wrists are warm your hands stay warmer. This is surprisingly effective IME, although we don't get extreme winter weather where I live.
The wrist gaiters are longer than tennis wrist bands and thus cover a longer segment of the forearm blood flow to futher warm it up, as I suggest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1180017.jpg (100.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg
P1180019.jpg (56.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-24-14 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Added Addendum