Old 09-24-14, 07:04 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Does anyone else wake up extremely cold?

I feel like my body goes into hibernation mode every night. I go out for a morning ride - 60 degrees F - and have to wear thermal base layer, arm warmers, knee warmers, gloves, hat. And still, I physically shiver for the the first 20 minutes. Then I warm up a bit, then by about 40 minutes in I'm warm.

60 degrees in the evening is tolerable with no warm gear, or maybe just arm warmers.

The other guys at the morning ride today - all had arm warmers, half had gloves, and only one other had knee warmers. I was the only one with a hat under my helmet.
I find that if I wake up early regularly my body is warmer earlier. Recently I've been waking up at 5-5:30 and I'm fine at 6 AM. On the other hand if I wake up at, say, 8 AM regularly, then 6 AM I'm freezing.

Only exception is if it's a stressful thing, like promoting a race or something. Then I'm revved up almost as soon as I get going.

One trick I do is that I'll get super warm as early as possible. I'll take a hotter than normal shower. I'll crank the heat in the car (if applicable). Hot coffee. Etc. Once I get warmed up I'm good.

I haven't ridden in a few? weeks but when it gets cooler out I tend to add a wind vest, thin hat, and a LS base layer or jersey. Head and torso insulation, with windproof stuff on my torso.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson