View Single Post
Old 09-24-14, 01:53 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
I get that they're trying to be nice, but I think they don't realize they're creating a bigger hazard. Conversley, when I'm a driver, I do NOT wave cyclists through when I see them stopping and get some serious stink eye from them as a result. I don't have a bike rack on my car (or my wife's car) and as a result don't look like a "cyclist" to them and I assume they think I'm just another a-hole motorist.

Side note from above...I do stop if it is obvious the cyclist will not be stopping at their light/sign/etc and will usually get some flak from my wife or other passenger about my "people" breaking rules.
Amazing to me that you would get dirty looks. I get almost irrationally angry when a driver with the ROW, who has plenty of time to go through an intersection before I get there, chooses instead to wave me through. Like they're doing me some big damn favor. I think it makes me angry because it's so condescending, like I'm on the road at their pleasure and whim. I typically stop and refuse to go through, and then they get angry with me for not accepting their magnanimity. You just can't win.