View Single Post
Old 09-27-14, 07:45 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
My experience with shorty linier pull brakes and road levers is that you get only slightly more leverage then cantis but far more mush/lever pull, to the point of having to keep the rims real true and run the pads with minimal clearance off the rims. While I have not ridden a bike "in anger" with that set up I have ridden MANY after servicing and have always commented on how poorly the mini V and road lever combo felt. And the vast majority on these bikes have had AL rims, not Carbon rimes which further mess up the braking performance.

None of my bikes use any type of linier brake. Tandem, tour, CX and ATB. But I don't race, I know how to set up a canti really well, I maintain my stuff well and tend to look pretty far ahead while riding. But then I also run my roller blades w/out brakes too... Andy.