Thread: bikes direct
View Single Post
Old 09-27-14, 10:02 AM
realmac

Bikes: Windsor Wellington SL, GT Timberline 2.0, Takara Kabuto (for sale)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just chiming in... Ordered a Windsor Wellington 2.0 on 9/20 from Bikes Direct. Then two day laters I decided to upgrade to a Wellington SL. I put my measurements in an online calculator from another site and that's where I came up with the 56cm frame.

The 54cm frame Takara Kabuto bike I ordered from Amazon in April 2013 was horrible to ride and my hands were hurting after 5 minutes. It also was single speed and the brakes suck even after getting my LBS to repair. I didn't realize my miscalculation on sizing until several months later. Went by height recommendations alone like a noob, neglecting the fact that I have longer arms.

I haven't been able to find any reviews of the SL model, though he 3.0 (when it's not damaged in shipping) generally has good reviews. What I did hear mixed talk about was the Shimano Sora components that came on that and the Fuji Roubaix my LBS carries. So I went up a level to Claris. My derailleurs need some minor adjustments as do my wheels, but otherwise this bike is awesome. Assembly was fairly easy, around 5-6 pounds lighter than my super cheap steel, one step up from Wal-Mart road bike.

Even after changing my order, I got the bike shipped to my door in 2 days. Had no clue they had a warehouse in the DFW area. Hardest part of assembly was putting the pedals on. I kept turning the wrong way...

I took my GT Timberline mountain bike to LBS for routine maintenance, as part of a contract I purchased. Due to demand they said it could take up to a month before I'd get it back. Granted it's been a year since I had any kind of work done on it and they are very thorough.. I will still go to them for service, but after my mixed experience with a purchase the first time around, was on the fence about going for a second time.

So YMMV but so far I had a good experience. 531.19 shipped for a road bike with carbon fiber fork, 24 speeds integrated with brake levers, dual pivot brakes, fairly lightweight frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5745.jpg (93.0 KB, 16 views)