View Single Post
Old 09-28-14, 06:49 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
If a robber wants your camera, you are going to lose your camera, so no plan is perfect. Just minimize the hazard as much as practical and minimize the hassle of lugging around too much valuable stuff.

I would try to make sure that my valuables are as light and compact as possible. If I solo tour, my netbook with 10 inch screen stays at home. My 7 inch tablet might even stay at home since a 4.7 inch smartphone will display my e-mails as well as the 7 inch tablet. Yeah, the keyboard on a smartphone is terrible compared to a real computer but I would not want to be hindered with something like a laptop.

All my valuables fit in my handlebar bag. The handlebar bag goes into every grocery store with me and into every restaurant. There were a few times that I left my handlebar bag in a tent, but when I did that it was because I was comfortable about the situation, such as other bikers also in the site that we had talked to, etc., and even then the handlebar bag was in the foot of the tent under some other stuff to be less obvious.

If I was solo touring, I would want to be able to get all my valuables into one drybag. If I was at a hostel and there was no locker that I could lock, the drybag could go into the shower with me, etc.

I think the biggest danger that would happen to a careful solo tourist is robbery or pick pocket. When in foreign countries when I am sight seeing alone, most of my critical plastic, cash, passport, etc., is in a zippered pants pocket at ankle height that is very hard to spot. My fake wallet with just a few hours of cash is in my pocket with some credit cards that expired in the 90s, those account numbers are no longer valid. I would be bummed if my fake wallet went missing but I would get over it pretty fast.

Nancy, it is good to see you post something again, have not seen anything from you for a long time.