FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by valygrl
I dunno - i'm using the zipp brake pads on my zipp firecrest carbon clinchers and the braking is a little grabby and unpredictable in the dry and next to non-existent in the wet.
+1 I have a set of Zipp firecrest 303's and find that braking in dry conditions is predictable, but I'm not doing major descents. However, when wet, the first 10 seconds or so until the brake sheds the water, there's almost nothing at all, even on flat terrain. It will get your attention when you grab hard and nothing is there.

I've had friends training for 6 gap in Dahlonega, GA destroy a set of carbon wheels when braking during the long descents. So overheating a carbon wheel is a concern for very long descents where frequent braking is necessary.

My 303 zips are currently en route from having the hubs replaced a second time. The rear hub failed on the drive side at a spoke attachment point. It is still under warranty, but I thought they fixed their problems with the rear hubs. I weigh about 185 lbs, so I don't think weight is an issue. Another friend (much lighter) had the same problem.