Thread: spoke quality
View Single Post
Old 10-23-05, 11:52 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by AD-SLE
Back then I was 180, today I am 220 and still riding those same wheels 6,000 miles later. They were steel spokes, cheap. Even to this day I marvel at my handy work as I ride to work with 220 plus laptop, gear and more gear. Never once broken a spoke!

Feedback: Sheldon Brown's phenomenal web site says anything less than SS is junk? This thread suggests SS spokes fatigue after a few thousand miles? ..... Did I get lucky? Is the old stuff more durable than the new stuff? 6,000 heavy loaded miles just starting to break in?

Question: Sadly I loaned that wonderful $3.95 ~How to build a wheel~ book to a dorm mate and never saw it again back in 1985. I'd give a left preverbial to find a copy. IIRC it was all pencil illustrated with a picture of a wheel and a cup of coffee on the cover. The theme being, sit back and take you're time and success will occur. Just a wild shot.
Hate to tell you but 6000 miles on a bike wheel is still nearly new. Let's compare notes in another 20,000 miles or so.

I had an '86 Bridgestone and the factory wheels were 27" Arya rims, 36 hole laced 3X with 14 ga cadium plated spokes. I began to break drive side rear spokes at about 9000 miles. Since then I've always had wheels with DT or Wheelsmith stainless steel spokes, either 14 ga or 14/17/14 (Wheelsmith 14XL), and I've NEVER broken a spoke in almost 100,000 miles of riding and over 28,000 miles each on two sets of wheels.

I also have a copy of the Robert Wright book in it's 1981 printing with the same cover drawing as described by ridesoldtrek and the listed price is $2.50. Useful, but Jobst Brandt's book is more informative, if more controversial, e.g. does a wheel hang from the top spokes or stand on the bottom spokes?