View Single Post
Old 09-29-14, 12:12 PM
RocTurk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a big fan of club rides. You always need to be on time, cannot easily set the pace or route you like, if the level is not the same among the group, probably you won't enjoy much (like the guys flying up on the hill while you're the weak link), always need to be alert for hazards you may not see easily, you are usually not the one to decide when and where to rest and how long, chance of a domino accident, .... Ok to be fair here's the positives it is a great way of socializing, going fast without getting tired as much (not true if you're going uphill though), if you encounter a problem there's someone to help, better visibility in traffic, higher chance of avoiding road rage.

So I usually ride alone. Sometime I tag along the tail of the group rides and drift with the pace. While they're taking turns to set the pace, guess who's just riding in the back? and if i'm tired or bored, slow down and continue with my own pace.

Lastly if you'd like to continue to ride with a group of road bikes, unless they set a +20mile pace, I think you can do it with your hybrid. Use thinner tires like they do. I use Continental Gatorskins 28mm width. Made a big difference compared to the stock 32mm (threaded) tires. For uphill performance, change to clip in pedals and shoes. Adding the reverse force will definitely improve your climbing speed. If they are riding long rides definitely consider a more comfortable seat. Don't let long rides create saddle soreness.

Last edited by RocTurk; 09-29-14 at 12:22 PM.