Old 10-23-05, 02:03 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
To the cyclist: I hate to say this, but cager right, rider wrong. I agree with others who said the cyclist should have hung back if multiple passing was getting him nowhere. He was just trying to ride faster than the flow of traffic allowed. You can't profit from doing that--bike or car. It will just get you into unnecessary confrontations at best, accidents at worst.

If I am going faster than the average speed of traffic, I will slow a bit, take the center of the outer lane and hold it. If I want to pass on a slow crowded street, I will use the inner lane to overtake, just like a car would. When I am going the same speed as the cars, I will "drive" my bike just as I would drive a car.

To L& AP: It sounds like you are a very courteous driver. Do you sometimes wonder if it's possible to be too courteous? Sometimes overly polite drivers slow down traffic for everybody. In this case, you slowed down to let others merge ahead of you at a lane closure. You might have been gumming up the works. This can slow everybody done more than necessary. What do you think?

"Think Outside the Cage"