View Single Post
Old 10-23-05, 02:47 PM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

I'm a left with just a few questions before I dive off and try it... you mentioned 3 - 7 sprints per week, but did not mention how many intervals per week.

Also, I do not know what my LT is... can you point me to a prior discussion or website that discusses how to estimate this?

Is LT relatable to a certain HR %, or perceived exertion level, or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks again... there is so much to learn about the human body.

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Usually you want to separate your aerobic/endurance workouts from the intense muscular workouts. Weekends are typically scheduled with aerobic hillclimbs on Sat. and a long endurance ride on Sunday. That works out well because you've got more time and you're looking at 3-5 hours on the weekends. If you've got only one 40-mile ride on the weekends, try to make it a hillclimb at your LT to work on the aerobic system. If not a hill, perhaps a hilly rolling course so you can push hard up the hills. If it's just a flat ride, then ride at a brisk steady pace that you can maintain the whole time (just below or at LT-lactate threshold). Follow jazzy's idea of pedaling efficiency by focusing on spinning easy gears and spinning smoothly. This allows you to maximize power-output at any given leg-strength; you can actually increase power-output by 20-30% without having to push any harder.