View Single Post
Old 10-01-14, 08:17 AM
leead moyal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teicher
The bike is nice but I think you should look at different brands. You're not going to be comfortable with either size and will likely spend the next year swapping components like stems, seat posts, etc. trying to make it work. I know, I made the same mistake with my first bike. Top tube reach was a tad too long and my neck/shoulders hurt all the time after I rode. I tried for months to make it work and wasted plenty of cash & time on parts but found that a similar style bike from a different brand just fit my body better. Shop around and try other models out. You might find something better suited for you.
Thanks Teicher,
I'll try to make this short
I am considering 2 different bikes at the same price of 750$:
first- A used Trek Montare 2011 2011 Montare - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle
second- A brand new 2014 Marin san rafael ds 4 Marin Bikes | San Rafael DS4 | Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, and City/Commuter Bicycles | us
I tried the Montare in 2 sizes- 17.5 & 19, which both sizes didn't quite fit. One too much reach needed and the other too small.
I tried the Marin size 19 which felt gr8! a joy to ride.
The thing is that the quality of the bikes, according to my unskilled feel, are miles a part favoring the montare. On the montare I felt as if I had been driving a secure mercedes branded tank, whereas the geometry on the marin fit perfect but it felt, how should i put it... Less, in general. A fun Mazda.
Would you be so kind and check the specs on both bikes and tell me if the difference in them are miles apart, or just so minor that i should choose comfort over minimal quality difference.. thanks. ohh, and does it matter that the marin is brand new in contrast to the used montare?
thank you very much for any response!!

Last edited by leead moyal; 10-01-14 at 08:32 AM.