Old 10-01-14, 10:02 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Okay, I'll follow up with my current experience. I'm building up an AWOL frameset and all is done but the front mountain triple 44/32/22 with Tiagra 4503 is not working well at all. It seems the FD does not quite swing out far enough to easily engage the big ring. I tried switching the hollowtech bb shims from the default 2 on drive side and 1 on non drive to 2 on non drive and 1 on drive. Measured distance between center of seat tube and inside face of middle chainring is ~47.5 mm in the non standard configuration and I can get the system to just barely work but must heavily tension the shift cable in the low position to do so and the derailleur is against the outer extent of the swing when on the big chainring. Issue 2 is the lower end of the cage just barely clears the chainstay and the amount of tension on the cable tends to pull the derailleur down the seat tube. At this point I'm looking at a CX70 FD but am not sure it will have enough swing either as it's made for a double.

Another thing I'm considering, I'll check the chain clearance when I have time... Is to nip a little off of the lower portion of the cage to give more chainstay clearance, (if it doesn't create a clearance issue with the chain on the large ring), then tack weld a piece across the bottom to stiffen the cage. I'm thinking I don't have much to lose at this point as I believe, but hope someone here proves me wrong, that I've exhausted all possible options to get this setup to work.

Anyone have any advice?