Old 10-01-14, 06:54 PM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
The torque bit is entirely nonsense. And others have already gone through the failure mechanism for spoke fatigue. And how well built wheels hold up better. But I don't know if I would use 23s on a hybrid. It's kinda narrow for everyday riding - even if it isn't related to your spoke breakage issue.
true, but I wanted to make the hybrid as much as a road bike as I could, so I took a gamble and tried them on the rim add in that they are that "race lite" hardcase stuff (which is noticeably heavier than a normal 23mm (like continental gatorskins for example) I figured that it would work (haven't had any blowouts, bulges in the tire and actually the tires seem bombproof...

could the thin tire make it more susceptible to a rock breaking a spoke...?

so it seems the consensus is that I need to learn how to build a wheel myself...?
so there are no stock wheels sold that 36 hole, double butted spokes?
if spoke breakage is related to tension, could one purchase a wheel then do the tensioning of themselves?
guess, you would still need the tools (truing stand, tension meter, and alignment guide...

are there resources and tools that are recommended for this undertaking?

sorry for the huge amount of questions, but I really don't know much about wheel building / repair etc...
do I need a certain book? or are there web resources that truly help you build a wheel.