Old 10-03-14, 12:18 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Open enrollment time and subsequent rambling.

Have had a PPO (Cigna) for the past 10 years and really liked it, great coverage minimal costs for emergency and hospital related items. I changed jobs this past year and picked up their PPO (Anthem Blue Cross), had a bike crash with ER visit, and left with a hefty bill. Not too thrilled about that. As a result, I'm considering going over to Kaiser, but like the freedom of being able to go where I want, when I want (I guess that comes at a new price with this new provider). I think I'll have to work on the assumption that a bike incident and ER visit is likely and the cost savings from Kaiser would be helpful.

I guess an alternative would be supplemental coverage. I've had it in the past, never used it, and cancelled it. I've heard/read some less than stellar stories about the lack of payment once you actually have an incident though.
I have been with Kaiser for years and is fairely happy with them. Never had issues getting x-rays, MRIs, etc done. Also handled my out of network visit to Stanford ER without any issues.

Originally Posted by himespau
Last year our university apparently changed administrators of our health plan (big enough that we're self-insured). I didn't go to open enroll because I'd been happy the year before so I was shocked to get cards with new provider on them (went from human to BC/BS). Apparently, nothing about what was in network changed (at least that's what HR told us), but we've been hit by lots of surprise out of network charges for labs and stuff this year, which makes me scared as we expect a new baby in 4 weeks or so. It wasn't special stuff either, just routine tests being sent out to the normal lab were now out of network. Never had that happen before, so you can bet I'm going to the enrollment this year and going to very carefully look over my options (which are minimal).
Do some shopping, and negotiate, and get as much stuff as you can in writing. There is relatively new things "drive by medicine" or something like that. Basically doctors sub contract or bring in assistants from out of network who then charge what ever the hell they want, or just random doctors stop by and charge insurance. Another thing is you might get stuck with a difference of what going rate is and what insurance pays. Say procedure cost 100k, and insurance agreed upon rate was 60k. Your out of pocket is 10%. They pay 54k, you pay 6k. Then you get a bill from doctor for remaining 40k. It happens. Health care in U.S. is one giant scam.