View Single Post
Old 10-03-14, 02:46 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I love cycling... I don't train... I mostly just ride. But the Midwest (where I live) doesn't have the most bicycle friendly off-season. So this summer I bought a CycleOps fluid trainer at a yard sale. I got it for nearly nothing and it works like new.

I normally ride 2000 miles a year (it's a on-going goal). Nothing all that great but an actual challenge this year because of colder and wetter weather. I decided if nothing else... I could complete my goal in 20 minute, sweaty, boring, garage rides on the trainer.

I have a rain-bike which I often take out when the weather looks like possible-to-certain rain. And I put rain-bike on the trainer a few times this summer when it was pouring rain outside. I found some decent cycling videos on YouTube and downloaded some for use on both my laptop and my tablet. I created a garage setup where I can open the big car-door as well as run a couple fans.

I can easily enough log 5-6 miles per 20 minute session. Sometimes watching a video on my tablet and other times watching the news on my smartphone. I was kind of surprised to find I actually enjoyed the work-out. 20 minutes passes pretty quickly.

I should reach my goal of 2000 miles this year (barring accident, illness, injury, or other problems) with or without the trainer. I only have 222 miles left to ride. But I will be making sure I get my minimum aerobic exercise in this winter... with a little running and some indoor trainer usage. I also do some increased winter weight training in the colder months.