View Single Post
Old 10-07-14, 09:38 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
FWIW, I've never found this to be the case. The 50T chainring works quite well for me in the 15-20mph range.

Having owned both road triple (52/39/30) and compact (50/34) cranks, I'm pretty happy with the compact. The primary advantage of the road triple is the large number of duplicated gear ratios, which means you can minimize front shifting. Luckily, front shifting has gotten so good that I no longer feel the need to avoid front shifts. The downside to triples is that they're becoming less and less common, especially among higher-end component groups. SRAM has never offered any triples, Campagnolo doesn't currently offer a triple from what I can tell, and Shimano only offers triples at the 105 level and below.

I still have an Ultegra 6600-series triple on my touring bike, but I suspect it's the last road triple I'll ever own. My next bike will likely have a Di2 drivetrain and triples aren't an option there...
Campagnolo offer both 3x10 and 3x11 triple divetrains: Athena Power-Torque 11x3 crankset - Components Campagnolo

I can guarantee that there are situations where you change up from the 34 chainring to the 50 while traveling in the 15-20 mph speed range. A shallow climb that includes a few flat sections or a headwind while on a flat route would inevitably cause a change of the chainrings in this speed range, especially if the cyclist is avoiding the 15-17-19-21 cogsets spacing.

If I had to use a Double, it would be a 46x36 and not a 50x34.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-07-14 at 10:04 AM.