Old 10-07-14, 04:28 PM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Class 2 versus Class 3 for four bike hitch rack

Our family of 4 is growing up and I need some insight.

Our current bike transportation by car arrangement will soon be outgrown.
Here's the current set up:
- Compact car with yakima roof rack and class 1, 1.25" receiver (200lb max tongue weight)
- On hitch is yakmia bighorn 4 rack with two adult bikes (Transported once with the 20" kids bike too, but felt I was pushing it. I'm sure I didn't exceed the 200lb rating, but with the weight of the bikes set back plus wind resistance it made me nervous)
- On roof back is a yakima basket case with kids 20" bike strapped to it sideways.
- Trunk contains burley trailer or weehoo or 16" kids bike.

The kids are getting bigger and we're needing a larger car anyway and the youngest will move to a 20" bike which can't fit in the trunk. We're not getting a minivan and despite the roof rack option we have chosen not to use it for bike racks for a variety of reasons. However the rack will be on the new car for using the basketcase and rocketbox (skis/snowboards, etc.), but ideally not for strapping down a bike on the basketcase (but I would be okay with this). I've been scoping out available hitches on uhaul for tongue weights on new cars I'm considering.

So input is needed:
Some midsized sedans still only take class 1, so they aren't an option. Some allow a class 2 - 350 lb max tongue weight. Will a C2 handle 4 bikes + the weight of hitch rack? Or only 3?

When stepping up to some small SUVs some accomodate a class 3 receiver - 525 max tongue weight.
I assume this will have no issues with 4 bikes on a hitch rack?

For those of you that have had SUVs and Sedans - can you feel less wind resistance with your SUV compared to the lower profile of your car when transporting bikes on a hitch rack?

And yes, folding bike has been considered as well that can be put in the trunk. We usually ride from home, but like take the bikes to rail trails and other events about 6 times a year.