Old 10-08-14, 05:28 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spld cyclist
Sorry Null, don't have links or details, but I'm sure I've read some abstracts over the years where there was simultaneous muscle growth and fat loss. They may have said "lean mass gained" but it was clear from context that they meant muscle growth. These effects didn't necessarily cancel each other out (i.e. fat loss didn't equal muscle gained). They always seem to involve overweight subjects that were out of shape (perhaps totally untrained) before the study began.

I didn't bother to try to read the full papers because they weren't what I was looking for. Yes, there are potential confounding factors and measurement errors. No, I don't know if/how they tried to control for those factors.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a good start to help me find these.

I am trying to lose fat but maintain my strength...
Every hint might help I'm an outlier, formerly insulin resistant and well, several other metabolic/hormonal challenges. Oh and I'm 48...

But it's easy to burn muscle, far to easy.

Originally Posted by sprince
It takes excess calories to build muscle, but muscle is much slower than fat to come and go. The cards are simply stacked against you, the slightest error will result in fat gain. Bodybuilders do it in phases by leveraging the fact that muscle is slower to change. They go through a building phase and use a combination of intense cardio, calorie restriction and high protein intake to reduce body fat. You will loose some muscle, but the fat loss is much quicker than the muscle loss. The only way I know of to do both is by eating twice as much while working out four times as hard. This might turn out fine for a 22 year old, but the majority of people would just end up over-trained and loose both fat and muscle.
Augmentation helps... A lot. And certain modifications help more than others...

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
IME it's hard to make a hard rule around the subject of fat loss and muscle gain. 2 years ago, I lost 10 lbs. over a period of 9 months. I took inches off my waist, but didn't change my thigh measurement. So what does that mean? I was working out consistently at the time. My weight and thighs have stayed about the same since then, but I've put on waist fat and probably lost muscle off my upper body. Now that event season is over, starting this month I'm back on a consistent bike and gym program. I want to lose a little weight, put 1/2" on my thighs, keep my arms the same, but get stronger, both legs and upper body. We'll see how that goes. I'm a very slow gainer. Today: thighs 21", waist 35.5", arms 12.5", 153 lbs.

I don't count calories in or out. Waste of valuable working-out time IMO. I go by the scale and the tape. I also have one of those fancy body comp scales which seems to be good about comparative measurements.
I'm down ~30lbs from 285 to 253, I've improved body comp a bit... But lost a ton of strength. I
Max Dead lift is down from 575 to a bit over 500 (haven't tested recently, but can do a couple of doubles at 500)... Don't think I can pull 550.
Max machine squat (Hammer Strength) is down from 819 to where 700 feels heavy...
Used to do 5x5 at 450 on decline (hammer Strength) now down to 3x5 and 2x360 and it's harder...
But riding is better... Which was a goal... Perversely Blood pressure is up, way up...

In the lifting world, slow gainers are known as poor eaters.
But that's not really true, Ectomorphs don't gain size easy but they can be incredibly strong for their size! Phenomenally strong.
The abdominal fat is actually a good asset towards the goal you state...
Weight you can lose and calories you can use towards strength.
Do you know what sort of patterns your body responds best to?

such as for me:
5x5 and 5/3/1 upper/lower oppositional, works very well for me strength.
German Volume Method, 10x10 with splits works great for size, but my injuries flare up really bad after a couple weeks.

Starting Strength has been successful in putting on significant strength, particularly lower body, back, and core and might be something that works for you with your goals...

5/3/1 focusing on Squats and Deads would be something to try after a few months... Gotta get form down cold...

About the electrical resistance...
Very sensitive to other variables. I can and do see a 10% swing between days... Which is not possible...
Calipers are more reliable and accurate.