Old 10-24-05, 09:23 AM
svtxtreme
Florida Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve_wmn
Claritin (Loratidine as a generic?) is pretty good as an all-round antihistamine, which will help to some extent with asthma. But avoid the OTC asthma inhalers (Primatene mist, etc) like the plague. They are less effective in relieving asthma than the prescription alternatives (albuterol, etc) and the side effects (heart palpatations) are much worse. If you've got health insurance you're much better off getting a prescription for an asthma inhaler.

I have have a big problem with this. I got so bad that I would stand up to sprint and had to sit right back down, then pull over and try to keep from passing out. I went to the doctor and now I am on Cingular once a day and breathing treatment 2 times a day and still carry a inhaler (albuterol). I take a puff before riding/racing. Seems to help alot. I still dont feel I am 100 % yet.

I am 34 and have never had asthma or breathing trouble. I was told it can be from being around second hand smoke as a child, brought on be riding, or just something in the air. Either way it sucks when you cant breath. I do know now I have a reason to be more active in the American Lung cause. Not that I need a reason but sometimes you just dont think about your health till it gives you a problem.