just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by bruised
What Carbonfiberboy just said above seems on the money ^

I've fought the battle of the bulge since a teenager. It's taken me into my 50's to figure it out. Now I'm convinced I've found a solution which works for me. What's great is just how easy it is. Food is a drug to me, it always has been. I'm a foodie, I like to cook and eat out...it's not just sustenance it's a passion and a hobby. For many years I tried to deprive myself of something I love. I cut out this, cut back on that, felt hungry when dieting....hungry and miserable. You can't sustain it, it's impossible. You're fighting a natural urge and it's unhealthy to deprive yourself in this way. You need to manage it not avoid it.

Now I eat like a horse. I eat all the time, but small portions. But what I do eat is mostly quite healthy and varied. I'm not a health-food fanatic and I'm fortunate that I've never been a fast-food junkie. I like potatoes, pasta, rice, chicken, steak, fish, salads, veggies, fruits, cereals, chocolates, cakes, pastries, meat pies and rag puddings

Those are the things I love to eat and I'll never deprive myself of them again.

But I have to implement the counter-balance. Calories in = energy out. If I eat 2500 calories I'll need to exercise. So I found an exercise which isn't an exercise, it's a hobby. I love to do it (biking). It's fun and it's a ticket to eating what I want. (within sensible limits).

Since I stumbled on this new path I've gone from a shade over 280 to 184 in less than a year. I plan to hit the Century before December then stop. I'm already thinking about ways I can eat more calories without stuffing myself, so I can exercise safely without fear of losing weight. This is a dynamic shift from how I've spent the last 40 years of my life, with the process arse about face.

Good supplementation is quite important too - but not with chemicals passed off as vitamin pills. Good natural stuff like honey, bee pollen, green tea.

I started a blog on this a while back and I should try to update it sometime soon

Good luck.
I think that's a great way to look at it. If we look at a modern high-end restaurant presentation, we see an elegant arrangement of a rather small amount of food on a large plate. It can be complex, flavorful, and healthy, all at the same time. That's what we do at home, though the presentation isn't as fancy. We have small home-cooked portions of really delicious, interesting, healthy food. My wife has a list of somewhere between 300 and 500 dinner main courses that we cycle through over the years. We usually cook up 6 servings at a time, thus having leftovers twice from each original cooking. That cuts down on the time required. Our house rule is desert and alcohol only with company. So we get those things, but not all the time.