Old 10-10-14, 07:12 AM
turky lurkey

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600, 1965 Schwinn Super Sport, 1973 Schwinn World Voyaguer, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1985 Specialized Rockhopper, 1988 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm 34 years old. I moved from Hawaii with my wife 3 years ago (we've had two sons since) to Colorado so I could go to school to be get a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
I've been a semi avid mountain biker most of my life but was more into surfing before I moved from Colorado.

My passion for vintage bicycles that i've acquired since i've been in school has largely stemmed from a few reasons. Namely, the following:

-One of the way's I can afford to go to school is by not having a car (though my wife does), so I bike to school everyday ~20 miles RT. This has given me a love for cycling, and contributes to my fascination with bicycles. Riding lots of different bikes also helps me from getting bored with my commute. I've also become an avid recreational road rider.

-All of my adult life I have worked with my hands. I worked in the construction trades for ~12 years, and built furniture as a hobby. This is something I miss, but the bikes have become an inexpensive way of keeping my hands busy.

-Its a hobby I can afford. I can buy bikes, work on them, ride them a bunch and then resell them at a break even price or better. Essentially free.

I do wonder if my passion for old bikes will still be here 10 years from now when I am making good money. I suspect yes to a degree; however, I will likely also be tempted by more modern technology as well.