Old 10-24-05, 01:04 PM
Fibber

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another High Quality bicycle for a kid story....

I had posted before that early in the summer I purchased a used Giant MTX 225 for my 9 year old daughter from a LBS (Giant dealer). It was a 2001 model, mountain bike style with 24" wheels, 21 speed. We had gone in to buy a Burley trailer for the toddler, and the big kid fell instantly in love with this bike sitting out front. Even though the price was a bit high, (asking was $150, negotiated was $135), I went with it as she desperately needed to move up from the 20" / 5 spd she had outgrown. They sell the new ones for about $100 more, and it was this or some misfit from Wallyworld. I had not seen a decent quality used youth model for sale, so felt pressured to jump. Everything works fine, she rides it almost every day, but it was obvious that it had been well used.

Fast forward to this past Friday. I was at an off-site meeting, down the street from the local Trek dealer. I stopped in to look at accessories for my ride, and sitting out front was the used youth bike dreams are made of. A 2002 Trek MountainTrail 220 (same basic specs as the Giant with some slightly upgraded hardware), in my daughters favorite colors in the whole wide world - purple and white! Darn thing was pristine. Nubs still covering the tire tread, near perfect paint. Had anyone actually ever ridden this bike? Asking price? It had just been traded in, and was being offered as an off-season special at $85.... The new ones on the second floor were priced at $249. What to do.... what to do..... Be a good egg and help out a friend? I called our occasional riding partner family who needed one also for their same aged daughter. Left a message. When I got back to work, I e-mailed with a link to the Trek archive site. Never heard a thing back....

Saturday morning I mentioned what had happened to my wife. She thought for a moment, then offered up that if they didn't jump, go get it & sell the Giant. So that is what I did. Exactly 24 hours after placing the call, I went to the shop and did it! My daughter went nuts! I think that the constant heavy rains for 2 days was what saved me. I was the only customer in the store on both visits Friday and Saturday. I heard from my friend later in the day - they were waiting for the weather to improve before venturing out! Too late....

So now I have to make good on my promise and sell the Giant. Any suggestions on the best way to market a bike? I was thinking of asking $125 or so for it. That is only a $20 loss ($10 plus the sales tax) to me for what I think was a worthwhile trade-up.

Steve