View Single Post
Old 10-10-14, 09:58 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dglevy
...... Thanks for posting. It's good to know that this is not that unusual, at least. I've been lucky.
Even when they have to be cut out (and it is out... not off) it isn't a big deal. The removal is a very minor in office, doctors visit. No pain and they heal very quickly. Whereas.... inflamed and/or infected areas can become major or even life threating problems.

I read [here] a lot of times when a poster has a knee, hip, neck, back problem (in this case a sore caused by hair).... and automatically they contribute the problem to their cycling. I think that can often be a mistake. Even if a cyclist can find the time to ride say... 4 hours a week... how many hours are being spend in a desk chair, in front of a TV in a recliner, in their car seat?

I am sure some people who get tennis elbow also play tennis. But I'd guess many more get the repetitive motion/over-use injury without ever holding a racket.

And it might be weight gain that returned a person to cycling. And, many joint problems can have a root cause in the persons weight. But cycling may get the blame. I do a really crappy job of diagnosing my own health issues. Not that I have that many. But I've found that my doctor does a much better job of figuring out what and how to treat my minor issues.

Before I'd self-diagnose and self-treat by staying off the bicycle..... I'd rush to see my doctor for a professional opinion.