Old 10-11-14, 10:18 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 202 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson
Seventy-two years old here. I've been riding clipless for over a year with a touch under 6000 miles since then. I fell over once the first day I tried clipless, none since then. My right hip angles out more than my left; the SPDs hold the shoe in the exact same place each time I ride. It took a bit of experimentation (and two fittings) but now each ride is fine. Unclipping in an emergency comes naturally.

Rich
I agree about falling: you may fall over once (it is very funny, too) because you forgot to un-snap your shoe from your clipless pedal, but you likely won't do so again. Once you get the adjustment of shoe to pedal locked in, you probably won't have any trouble. My experience is that clipless is slightly more efficient than toe clip with strap but you would have to be an engineer to care about the difference. My new hybrid came with toe clips and straps and I've seen no reason to change. I wear some mid-height trail running (hiking) shoes with gore-tex lining in case I encounter wet conditions, although that will only help to a certain point. I like not having to change shoes, and I can walk normally without klak-klak.