Old 10-13-14, 01:59 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by justinzane
For the novice bike mechanic, just figuring out which BB type one needs is challenging. Then, it is necessary to pick from the order of magnitude range of compatible parts...

As an example, I can pretty easily figure out -- reading forums like this, reading Sheldon Brown, etc. -- that Continental Gatorskins or Schwalbe Duranos are excellent choices for training in goathead country or commuting on roads filled with potholes and broken glass. I can easily discover that a steel frame with pretty lugs and a boatload of braze-ons might be perfect for a touring ride while it is less than ideal for a competitive triathlon. Within the first few Google results, I can find YouTube videos showing exactly how to measure ischial tuberosities so I can pick a perfect width saddle.

Can someone help novice mechanics make the same kind of choice with regard to replacing or upgrading bottom brackets?
Bottom brackets are stuck in the middle between two other parts with many variables. There are a bunch of bottom bracket shell types and a bunch of different cranksets requiring different spindle types and lengths. To account for all these possibilities and allow you to mate different cranks with various frames, there are a ton of different bottom brackets out there. When shopping for a bottom bracket, step one is to find what type/size fits your frame and your desired crankset. Once you figure out what fits, the equation becomes much simpler. Much like shopping for tires, find one that fits your desired price and/or quality range.