Old 10-13-14, 07:10 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ct-vt-trekker
The GP 4 season is a much better tire that's why they're more expensive. 330 TPI Vs 180 TPI for the Gatorskins. More layers of material. Reinforced sidewall.

The Gatorskin Hardshell is an improvement over the Gatorskin.

What I can no longer find on the website or catalog is the difference in Rubber compounds. I had read earlier that the GP 4 season had the Black Chili rubber while neither Gatorskin did.
My experience has been the 4 Seasons do grip much better so perhaps they still do have the Black Chili compound?
Casing and sidewall durability would definately go to the Gatorskins. I appreciate the supple road feel of the GP 4 Season's much thinner 330tpi casing, but, it is certainly less robust than the Gatorskin's and other 180tpi casings. As far as I'm aware both rely on the same 3 layers, only the thread count differs and they both have the same duraskin sidewall reinforcement. Although I'm not certain the Duraskin is worth much.

Besides having a thinner, lighter more supple sidewall the GP4Season benefits from two layers of vectran puncture protection while the Gatorskins use a heavier Poly belt. And with regard to tread compound I have seen Continental list the GP4 Season as having a "max grip/max carbon compund" tread. I don't know if that is the same or even softer than the BlackChilli compound. But, to the best of my knowledge the Gatorskins have a slightly harder, less grippy, better wearing and more durable compound.