Old 10-13-14, 11:06 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I run Gatorskins on one of my bikes;
Beware that they have very poor grip on wet surfaces, so I would not use them in the winter.
Ive used Gatorskins for a few years now, 28s, and I haven't noticed any grip issues in wet, none at all. I have also used them with about 40lbs on my touring bike and they handled the weight fine.
Flats are most often down to luck, the surfaces you ride on, keeping air pressures up or not, riding regularly through glass debris etc, oh--and did I mention luck, or rather bad luck? I've gone a long time between flats with Gatorskins, perhaps 5000km, but I try to be as careful as possible to avoid and not run over stuff, and stop to brush off the tires if I do go through debris that may get stuck in tires.

I ride into December here, and while I usually dont ride if its rainy and very cold (lets say 5c) I have ridden in cold rainy conditions and again, can't complain about grip, but then as someone else mentioned, I don't go bombing around corners in the wet when its cold, so I figure its pretty hard to quantify "good" or "poor" grip in the rain.

anyway, just wanted to give a positive opinion of them after using them for a couple of seasons, usually about 3-4000km per season. I've also ridden them on fine gravel trails sometimes and they've been fine, no different from other 28 slicks I've used over the years in similar conditions.