View Single Post
Old 10-14-14, 02:29 AM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
According the the LBS, 26" is pretty much dead already.
I have definitely noticed this at some shops, but it depends on the audience. For example, there's a shop in Boulder called The Fix that specializes in DH, FR, and DJ bikes. Even with a lot of DH bikes going 27.5", I imagine that not every category will be so willing to run big wheels.

Originally Posted by Ramona_W View Post
If manufacturers create frames with the lower standover height many women need and pair these with the 27.5" wheels, it could result in some very interesting looking bikes.
Yep. Not only standover (since a lot of long travel XS bikes don't have that much standover), but designing little bikes without toe-overlap without screwing too much with headtube angles. I read an article a long time ago that made an argument for wheel sizes that were appropriate to the frame size. I'd add "appropriate to the intended use" in addition to frame size and say that'd be perfect. I'd happily run 24" and 26" on all of my bikes. Cervelo makes their little tri bikes with 650c wheels as opposed to 700c, so I can't imagine it would be too much of a stretch to see 26" on some of the little mountain bikes that are normally 27.5".