Old 10-14-14, 06:26 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
OP- I read your first post for this thread and thought Great now maybe I can figure it out too. Alas it seem like the populace of the board doesnt understand the question. I couldnt figure out the differences either so I just picked one. I might have liked to know if the one $5 more was a MUCH better quality though
I don't think the question was not understood, it is that the answer is not simple. What bottom bracket you use depends on what frame you have and what crank you want to use. You would probably be well advised to stick with a major manufacturer if buying new.

The old square tapers are heavy because they use steel spindles. Other than that, if properly maintained, they last forever. I personally am a fan of loose balls, they are easily and cheaply overhauled.

I have never used ISIS/Octolink.

I now have a bike with Hollowtech outboard bearings. I can't say I find it any different, but the frames are so different that it would be hard to tell. Decent Shimano outboard BB's can readily be found for under $20, and they can be changed in 5 minutes if you have the correct tool.

The pressfit BB's may be good, are definitely lighter but the weight difference is certainly not significant for my purposes, my observation is that they are more prone to creak, and I question how tight they will be after 20 years of use.

As with much of cycling equipment, how much you need to spend depends on your wallet, what you want to do, and whether you are riding in such a way that the differences are meaningful (or if you just like to have really nice stuff!)