Old 10-14-14, 06:36 PM
justinzane

Bikes: Fuji Aloha, ...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clengman
I think it'll be hard to get to any objective truth on this one. It's yet another topic that seems to just come down to personal preferences.
You may be right. Perhaps it is the data-geek in me that find the "personal preference" somewhat objectionable. If one is shopping for neckties, yeah, it really is down to personal preference since they no longer serve any functional purpose. For something as nigh-invisible and almost purely functional as a spindle with bearings -- all a BB is, after all, the fact that personal preference has any bearing seems odd.

There is minimizing friction, resisting radial and axial loads, resisting contamination and retaining lubrication, ease of maintenance and cost. I'm not criticizing you at all, since you probably know a lot more than I. I'm just frustrated with the lack of objectivity on this little part. If you want a rim, there are endless guides some with friggin' wind tunnel data! Folks have measured the stiffness of frames to the micro newton. Sh*t, people have even done wind tunnel testing on shaved legs and ponytails.

Yet, for something that EVERY cycle needs, whether the grandma's stepthrough utility bike or the $10k carbon and titanium triathlon bike, there is little definitive information. To ME, this seems odd. Maybe it is simply the invisibility of BBs that prevent them from being talked about and analyzed more.

Off to just ride and not thing about it...