Old 10-15-14, 12:20 PM
hamster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you take off at least one wheel and/or fold part of the rear seat, you can put a bike into the trunk of almost any small SUV and even into some sufficiently well-made sedans (I think that a bike without one wheel would fit into an Impreza from the back).

If you want to put it into a car without disassembling, while leaving seating for 4+ occupants, I don't think it can be done with less than Sienna.

P.S. Of course, any sedan would take a bike without wheels into the rear seat simply through the rear passenger door, so the requirement to insert it through the trunk is unnecessary. It makes sense to ask which cars can fit the bike in the trunk (with wheels taken off) without folding the rear seat. This is where non-SUV's and non-minivans would be tight in general. Some of the smallest SUV's fail even here. Last time I went to an auto show, I looked at quite a few cars with this specifically in mind. I may be misremembering (it was in January) but, as I recall, cars like BMW X1 and most wagons/hatchbacks didn't have enough room for a bike without wheels laying flat in the trunk.

I have 2014 Forester and it fits a bike in the trunk (without folding the seats) without both wheels easily, and without one wheel after some exercises in spatial geometry. Impreza (sedan) is similar, but differs in that, in Forester, you can put the bike on top of luggage for a 3-day trip for a family of 5 and it will fit. In Impreza, the bike takes all available space.

Last edited by hamster; 10-15-14 at 12:36 PM.