View Single Post
Old 10-15-14, 02:18 PM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
My powers of arrest would include for battery, for example if someone physically attacked me after I passed through their blocking group. Any citizen has this power - but he'd better do it right and he'd better be right.

It's not hilarious that citizens believe that only a cop with a badge has this authority, or that a cop or ex-cop would mock it. It is sad though.
You better do it right indeed. Of course, no battery was committed in the OPs thrilling tale. And if someone were to attempt a citizens arrest for battery in an instance where their fat mouth was a precipitating factor in the "case" it would probably not end well. Of course, how you are going to effect an arrest with out the awesome power of the state behind you in an instance where you are vastly outnumbered is another problem. The common law right to make citizens arrests exists. Exercising that right opens you up to all kinds of difficulties. It IS hilarious to think, that the citizens of A&S would consider exercising this option, over any violation of the law, that didn't involve a serious physical assault. Don't want to be mocked, don't say/do silly things that beg for mockery.