Old 10-15-14, 02:27 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
You better do it right indeed. Of course, no battery was committed in the OPs thrilling tale. And if someone were to attempt a citizens arrest for battery in an instance where their fat mouth was a precipitating factor in the "case" it would probably not end well. Of course, how you are going to effect an arrest with out the awesome power of the state behind you in an instance where you are vastly outnumbered is another problem. The common law right to make citizens arrests exists. Exercising that right opens you up to all kinds of difficulties. It IS hilarious to think, that the citizens of A&S would consider exercising this option, over any violation of the law, that didn't involve a serious physical assault. Don't want to be mocked, don't say/do silly things that beg for mockery.
I'm going to exercise that power only if there's a felony, someone is in imminent danger, AND I can get away with it. I didn't bring it up at all (as an option for OP), nor first mention it in general.

The person who did bring it up was just illustrating the fact that yes, citizens do have enforcement powers under the law. Someone else was mistakenly mocking the idea that citizens have the authority to insist that they may go about their lawful business without illegal interference when there are no cops, badges or guns around.

Last edited by wphamilton; 10-15-14 at 02:32 PM.