Old 10-15-14, 03:37 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
How is wantonly breaking the law and then “justifying” it by claiming to do it for one’s safety, or because they’re claiming that they’re trying to be “polite” not a sense of entitlement?
Here's the thing. Intersections are dangerous places for cyclists. And standing over a stopped bike is when a cyclist is at his/her most vulnerable. Their maneuverability is significantly reduced. They're essentially on foot, straddling a fence at that point. So, if the cyclist can do so without failing to yield the right of way to anyone, it is in his/her best interest, legal ramifications notwithstanding, to proceed through the intersection as soon as possible.

Now, consider a four way stop. If I'm going to arrive at the intersection before anyone else, but others will arrive very shortly after them, then, once I've verified that any cross traffic is in fact panning to stop, it is not just more convenient for me, but for the other road users as well, for me to proceed without stopping. I'm not failing to yield, and no one else has to wait for me to come to a complete stop and then start again from a standing stop.

I fail to see how that demonstrates any kind of sense of entitlement.