Old 10-16-14, 09:14 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
We have a spot where a bike path (I don't think the term "MUP" has any legal standing nor is it used here) is brought to join the sidewalk at a signaled intersection. The MV code specifically states that "pedestrian control signals" apply to pedestrians (defined as "persons afoot"). The section on bicycles on sidewalk specifically reference "driving" of bicycle on sidewalk, so I don't interpret that as being "afoot", and further there is a section on U-turn by bicycle against a sign, in which case bicycle must be walked (and hence not driven but instead "afoot"). So there is no legal requirement to obey a "pedestrian control signal" unless you are afoot (walking your bike) but regardless I never follow ped signals and wouldn't in any case, law or no law. Here they have "countdown" timers on the ped signals and it is illegal for a ped to leave the curb once the countdown begins. 30 bikes could easily cross in the time it takes a countdown to run down. Of course right hook is always a real possibility in these situations, but that's true with or without a ped walk light.

scott s.