Old 10-17-14, 08:34 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,366 Times in 947 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
If you are riding along a MUP and come to an intersection where adjacent traffic has a green light (and left turn has a red) and the MUP has a Don't Walk, do you continue through or press the button? Is it legal in your state for you to continue through?
The green light applies to people using the road (it doesn't magically apply to completely different ways/roads). The "Don't Walk" light applies to all users of the MUP.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
we have a local mup that has walk signals and stop signs for the mup. I stop for the stop signs and then proceed no matter what the lights say. I'm not walking. What makes this easier in this case is the stop signs, and the fact that there is actually no walk cycle, there are always cars that can go through the crosswalk. In fact, the "walk cycle" is short and coincides with the left turn cycle for the cars that cross the crosswalk. So I'd rather pick my way through when no cars are present.
Legally, you have to do what walkers/runners/skippers/skateboarders are required to do. It's bizarre that you seem to think otherwise.

Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
AI've had motorists yell at me for walking when is was a solid don't walk or flashing (I ignore them, as they shouldn't be navigating an intersection and deciding whether or not to violate my right away via the walk signal).
Bizarre. You are legally required to follow the traffic controls. You are violating their right of way.

Originally Posted by scott967
The MV code specifically states that "pedestrian control signals" apply to pedestrians (defined as "persons afoot"). The section on bicycles on sidewalk specifically reference "driving" of bicycle on sidewalk, so I don't interpret that as being "afoot", and further there is a section on U-turn by bicycle against a sign, in which case bicycle must be walked (and hence not driven but instead "afoot"). So there is no legal requirement to obey a "pedestrian control signal" unless you are afoot (walking your bike)
This is wrong.

You are required to follow the "pedestrian" controls unless an explicit exception has been made for bicyclists. There may be additional requirements/restrictions for bicyclists but the existance of those restrictions doesn't magically remove the requirement for bicyclists to stop at stop signs/lights.

The "driving" reference refers what you also have to do when riding (rather than walking) your bike.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-17-14 at 09:58 AM.