View Single Post
Old 10-18-14, 03:25 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Protein bars are a good source of protein, as are peanut butter crackers sold pre-made and packaged. I prefer to stick with dry, packaged foods when touring to avoid carrying cooking and cleaning supplies, not to mention it minimizes trash, which is typically clean if you're not opening cans of wet, aromatic foods. Toaster pastries, snack bars, various types of crackers, cookies, etc. will all provide the necessary quantities of carbs for energy. You don't really need that much protein so protein bars can suffice, especially if you eat pizza or sandwiches regularly for lunch. I'm trying to learn about edible wild plants to add fibre and chlorophyl to the nutrients gained from carbs and protein supplements (bars).

I used to worry about what and how to cook when touring but now I devote more thought toward hygiene. I'm thinking of getting a washboard and building some kind of makeshift laundry line that extends from front to back on the bike. Stretching laundry out overhead in this way would dry the clothes while providing shade from the sun. Sorry to deviate from the topic of food here, btw. It's just I'm more concerned with eating dry food and keeping clean than I am with cooking and cleaning food gear in addition to my body and clothes.