Thread: Fat salmon
View Single Post
Old 10-18-14, 07:39 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chewa
”Link please?”.

How about 40 years of cycling including commuting in London and Edinburgh and being told at EVERY dinner party, and social event I attend, when I mention I am a cyclist that “All cyclists ride 3 or 4 abreast, move out without looking, run red lights and don’t obey the rules of the road”. That generally comes up just before the road tax commen.

Cyclists are not; looked on as individuals but as a group.

Just do a search for “Lycra clad louts “ on any UK newspaper site.
Chewa,

+100,000,000,000

As I said in another thread I too have (over)heard people *****ing and moaning about the “elitist attitudes” of many of the cyclists on the road. Just the other week when I was grocery shopping I overheard one such conversation; I believe that it took place between either a husband and wife, or a boyfriend and girlfriend. I didn’t catch the whole conversation, but I did overhear the man complaining about cyclists not staying in the bike lane.

I agree with you in that we should be judged by our actions and not the actions of other cyclists, but sadly, that just isn’t the case.

Sadly, given the comments I’ve (over)heard I don’t have to. I know all too well that the “average” motorist “lumps all cyclists” together.