View Single Post
Old 10-19-14, 08:06 AM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
I'm a 56 year old diabetic former Marine who just drug his 10 year old bike out of the shed 2 months ago where it sat idle for 9+ years so take the following with a grain of salt but....after getting a new chain, front derailleur and two new tubes installed and going for my first short 2 1/2 mile ride in nearly a decade?....I knew one thing....that being?...

"If I don't do something about that butt hatchet of a stock seat?...this bike is going to wind up right back in the shed!"

Seriously...I thought maybe it lost all it's softening agents and hardened up (or something) sitting in a hot south Florida shed for nearly a decade...and I replaced it with two different seats in as many weeks...one because it was cheap and cushy for $14.96 at walmart and the other because it was cheap at $30, super firm and cool looking on a close-out rack at a bad LBS....needless to say?...both blew chunks and neither was much better than the stock torture device they replaced.

And that's when I learned here that I have these things called "Sit-Bones"....and that they come in different sizes...."AS DO SADDLES"

So as I began to research this "Saddles Thing"?...it came to my attention that a lot more thought, design and engineering goes into a good one than I ever imagined...and that if I valued my riding as much as my butt?....a properly fit good one was going to run me about $100 (for starters)and not $14.96 from wally world. LOL!

And that's when I found the good LBS in town who carried a nice full line of "Specialized" saddles (which were on my shortlist along with Brooks and Fizik as recommended by many on this forum)...and the first thing the LBS people did was ask me my sit-bone size...after me saying "I haven't a clue."?...the second thing they did was measure my sit-bones...and that's when I bought my $100 Specialized Romin Evo Comp Gel in size 155...

But it didn't end there...as a matter fact?...it was just the beginning as all this fantastic saddle did was provide me with a properly fitted and well shaped saddle...from there?...was a good week or two of leveling and adjusting...pedal and repeat...and to be honest?...my 10.6 miles ride last night was the first ride I took where not once did my focus get drawn to my butt or the saddle...and I remained seated and in position for the entire 48 minutes and it's my understanding that if you have a good saddle that's properly sized and adjusted?...everything else should wear out before your butt does.

And to be even more honest?...before I take my next ride?...I'm going to move the seat height up about 3/8ths too 1/2" as while my hands and butt were fine?...my position and knees (on the upstroke) felt just a touch cramped.

But no...you shouldn't have to stand up every 10 minutes and as the good folks at the LBS told me?....

"A little soreness or tenderness is to be expected AFTER a long hard ride...but if you're experiencing any pain or numbness DURING the ride?...That's A Problem!"

One day I would like to try a Brooks or Selle Anatomica but that's going to have to wait for my next Light-Tour/Commuter bike as for right now?..I'm thrilled that my butt and this Romin Evo seem to be getting along just dandy. (but it did take a lot of "Adjust/Pedal/Repeat" to get there)

Hope that helps...Good Luck and Ride Safe! Bill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fitfin.jpg (35.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg
rewrap4.jpg (53.6 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Jinkster; 10-19-14 at 08:12 AM.