Old 10-22-14, 01:31 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by arfer1
After many years of riding bicycles but not knowing much about bike mechanics, I'm trying to learn more about the subject. I bought a chain wear indicator and have discovered I need to replace the chain on my Voyageur 11.8. Since the freewheel is original to the bike, I assume it also needs to replaced. Here are some questions:

1). Any recommendations on replacement parts?

2). What makes one freewheel better than another?

3). If you're replacing a freewheel, do you also need to consider replacing the chain rings/crankset?

Thank you.
You're not an idiot, but perhaps unwise in jumping into buying tools. Unfortunately you've already wasted some cash buying a chain wear indicator when a ruler is more accurate and cheaper, but:

1. Any 5-6 speed freewheel of the ratios you need is probably fine, though you need to make sure you have enough room for a 6 speed between the hub and frame. Generally Shimano is the most available and best regarded, Sunrace is probably next, Falcon lowest in overall quality..
2. Mostly looks and weight, neither of which is critical if you are on a budget, so don't worry about it - get a name brand at the price you want to pay.
3. Not unless the chainwheel(s) are really pointy or have a shark's fin profile. Just ride and see how it goes.

Need to get a chain labeled 6-8 speeds.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 10-22-14 at 01:46 PM.