View Single Post
Old 10-22-14, 11:51 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by realityinabox
It seems like my main issues are keeping my extremities warm while not having my torso over heat. My arms and thighs (where the wind is hitting) get quite cold while my core is still warm enough. Any suggestions for that? I'm thought about cutting the sleeves off a wool sweater for my arms and getting some long-johns/spandex for my legs.
Well, I had similar issues at 37ºF. My thighs were freezing. You know what made the difference for me? A fleece skull cap! My mother was right: you lose 20% of your body heat through you head. This worked for me. And finding the right pair of gloves so that I stayed warm without too much sweat. I haven't ridden below 37, but layering works well for me. Light base layer (I have nike dri-fit for more warmth), long sleeve jersey and windbreaker jacket works pretty well. Remember that you are supposed to be kinda cold for the first couple of miles and the riding warm you up. If you start out warm, you are doomed to building up too much heat and will sweat. I notice that if I have to stop at a light for any length of time, I start feeling cold again.

Good luck! And there are plenty of threads about layering and keeping warm at various temperature ranges. Keep reading and experimenting.