Old 10-23-14, 08:52 AM
arfer1

Bikes: 2008 Trek 7500, 1982 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1982 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 Chrome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
You're not an idiot, but perhaps unwise in jumping into buying tools. Unfortunately you've already wasted some cash buying a chain wear indicator when a ruler is more accurate and cheaper, but:

1. Any 5-6 speed freewheel of the ratios you need is probably fine, though you need to make sure you have enough room for a 6 speed between the hub and frame. Generally Shimano is the most available and best regarded, Sunrace is probably next, Falcon lowest in overall quality..
2. Mostly looks and weight, neither of which is critical if you are on a budget, so don't worry about it - get a name brand at the price you want to pay.
3. Not unless the chainwheel(s) are really pointy or have a shark's fin profile. Just ride and see how it goes.

Need to get a chain labeled 6-8 speeds.
Thanks for replying. Regarding the chain wear indicator, I'm trying to decide whether I want to invest in buying bicycle tools or simply relying on a LBS for repair and replacement. It seems that once you buy one tool, you soon discover you need another, and so on. I'm nervous about going down the path of self repair only to find that I'll get in over my head and wind up doing injury to my bike or myself by undertaking things I don't really understand.

The Voyageur came with a six speed freewheel, and I'm trying to decide whether to go with that, or get a seven speed, or maybe a megarange six speed. Any thoughts?