Old 10-23-14, 09:31 AM
vrooom3440

Bikes: Co-Motion Primera Co-Pilot, Trek Madone 3.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprout97
...I readily agree that if you go the Carerra, do pick up a new set of rims for your daily rides, and use the Rolfs for specialized stuff like rallyes. Our LBS owner strongly feels that radial spoked rims aren't a good daily option, especially with high tension spokes. ...
First note that all of the Co-Motions now run disc brakes thus radial spoke options no longer apply (and in absence of rim/hub torque loads work just the same as crossed).

Next run 'em if you got 'em. This idea of saving wheels for special occasions because they might break is perverse logic. If I am going to have a breakdown of any sort I would much rather have it on a "daily ride" where I am likely closer to home with less of an audience and not time pressured. On a longer or organized ride is when I want the bike to be the least of my worries. I run the Rolfs all the time and plan to keep doing so and expect no trouble from doing so. I find the internet really distorts some of these situations by providing anecdotal evidence of point failures without the balance of non-failure data. Everything has a failure rate but the way we report our problems gives one an impression of the failure rate being much higher than it really is.

The way I look at it is Rolf builds these wheels FOR tandem use and has done so for long enough to have experience with the design and application. The same for Co-Motion. That means we are not looking at an early adoption of new technology. We are looking at companies that continue to sell a product, suggesting the failure rate is acceptably low.

My original comment was to swap for loaded touring where the extra weight carried and distance from help warrant added design margin.