View Single Post
Old 10-23-14, 01:45 PM
mel2012

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You'll have to figure out what works for your particular circumstances, but having done both, I would much rather pull my 6-year old on the Kazoo than my 4 year old on the WeeHoo. The Kazoo is about half the weight of the WeeHoo, which about covers the difference in weight between the kids and my 6 year old can actually help propel us vs. the limited assistance I get from my 4-year old. But the major difference is in the stability. Despite the lower center of gravity, the seatpost mounting of the WeeHoo plus its weight means that a shift or lean by the passenger has much more of an impact on the "captain." So generally, if we were doing a long ride, my husband would pull the WeeHoo and I would take the Kazoo. Now that we have the FollowMe, we're selling the Kazoo and hanging on the WeeHoo just for my husband to use for bike touring rides. I think the WeeHoo would be fantastic if they would modify the design to have an axle attachment (like the Hase Trets or the FollowMe attachment or the way a Bob Yak attaches; sadly they don't seem to be headed in that direction).

The weight of the WeeHoo also makes a difference in stopping and starting. Once you're going with a smaller passenger, you don't feel a lot of pull or drag. If you have a heavier passenger who isn't really interested in helping, it can feel like lugging bricks.

The trickiest part of the WeeHoo, in our experience, is the loading. Odds are that your 2-year old will not be able to do the clips and footstraps by herself. That means either two people have to be present for loading (one to hold the front bike and one to help the child) or you need a sturdy double-legged kickstand to hold up the front bike while you help the child.

Originally Posted by Diggie
Mel - thanks for the tip about Kohl's....just happened to have a 30% coupon so I got it ordered, too bad they don't carry the Weehoo.

I'm not a big fan of an attached seat, she is 3 next month and at 28lbs...by next spring she will be too big for the front mount seats so it would have to be behind my wife. Not sure if a seat would fit with the Burley since it mounts to the top a rack and either way not sure if I want to carry a 3 year old in a seat and a 5 year old on the burley kazoo at the same time.

Since I'll prolly have the Kazoo attached to my bike (since I want the rack anyway and the 5 year old is heavier), one concern is how difficult will the Weehoo be for my wife to pull my 3 year old and how stable will it be.

cplager - how old are your kids and how long have they been riding distances more then just around your neighborhood?