Old 10-24-14, 09:56 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
+1. And not everyone is a skinny waif like the TDF riders. There are plenty of big, strong riders out there that can power the big ring and small cogs........on the flats. But when they have to go up, gravity is just too much. I still say a triple with 7 in the back is the perfect combo. No shifting problems and plenty of range. You can swap cassettes to get exactly what you want.

Here is why I ride a triple(52/42/30 or 52/40/30) with 5-7 cogs back on all of my bikes. The freewheels/cassettes mounted are usually 12/13-19/21 for most riding. If it is flat, then I am on the 52 ring and 1 of the 3 small cogs. If it is windy or a little up then I am on the middle ring and the middle 3 or 4 cogs. If it turns upward into climbing, then I am on the small ring and big 3 cogs. I never, ever have to shift a lot in succession. With a compact you have to shift a lot in succession when your terrain changes drastically. Here is your example:

You are on a tough climb grinding it out on one of your lower gears. You crest the hill to speed down the other side. Now you have to go to the other end of your cassette to blast down the other side. With the compact and 10 or 11 in back you go to whacking on the shift levers. And you whack, whack, whack, whack until you get to the 11 or 12t cog. That is a lot of whacking. Now you have reached the bottom and there is another epic climb in front of you. So you whack, whack, whack, whack again until you are back on the big cogs again. Repeat over and over until you are done. That is why I don't ride a compact.

If I know it will be a hard climbing day the freewheel/cassette gets changed to a 13-14/24 or a 12/13/14-28. The riding in ranges stays the same.
I like to have 1 cassette that can cover as many bases as possible so I don't have to swap wheels out depending on the day of the week. So a 10 that goes straight from 12 to 17 is great for my flat days, and a 27 gets me up 99% of the hills in my area.

When you crest a steep hill, how do you get from your 30/24 to your 52/14 without lots of "whacking" on your shifters? On my 10 group (105) I've got a technique down pretty well of tap-tap-tapping my right shifter as I crest a hill and I'm in the middle of my cassette as quickly as I ever was with downtube shifters. On my other bike (8-speed Mirage, 13-26 with a 39-53) I have multiple shifts on my thumb shifter, so I can go from the 26 to the 15 in 2 or 3 movements. But either way I only have 1 chainring to shift.