View Single Post
Old 10-24-14, 05:04 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I'm going to go with chicken out.

I got rid of my car in April 1999.

I started bike commuting in March 2006. It was only this past December that I broke the 7 year, 4 month chain of daily bike commuting. (It was 1,596 consecutive workdays, BTW.)

A freak snowstorm while at work killed the streak. (While I blame Mom Nature, I knew the forecast could be wrong, yet I left the bike with studded snow tires at home. So if you catch me in a moment of honesty, I was to blame, not Mom Nature or The Hyperbole Channel.)

And yet, every day that it's not perfect out, and every day when I'm feeling less than 100% (and at our age those are many), the little voice inside my head tells me I don't have to ride my bike to work.

Yes. Despite all my years of habituation and experience, I could talk myself out of cycling to work any time I choose. I just choose not to listen to the voices.

I work in 'da hood. I know what that's like too.

Yes, bike commuting can be exhilarating for all the wrong reasons, but when I get home, that disappears too.

Like everything else in life, you don't know if you can do it until after you've done it.

Last edited by tsl; 10-24-14 at 05:21 PM.