View Single Post
Old 10-24-14, 10:58 PM
Corben

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller
interesting hypocritical statement this one. you realize the local business grocery store charging more than Wal Mart, and wal mart running them out of business is a whole heckuva lot like the local bike shop charging more, then local big box stores and online retailers putting them out of business... If bike shops charged wal mart or BD prices for their bikes, then you would get equally ****ty, horribly assembled bikes, with zero follow up service besides returns. Instead of paying a bit more to have a group of people with a wide variety of repair parts, replacement parts, warranties, local support of the bicycle infrastructure, etc...
And walmarts already doing that with the LBS. they sell tools, bags, racks, tubes, pedals, helmets, grips, computers, lights, etc etc. and not to mention what they offer on-line. LBS shops are already in trouble thanks to Walmart .
And speaking of hypocrites ....I have a confession.
i bought my newest bike from BD! Yes its true!.. But I'm okay with it. I came into a little cash and wanted a new bike real bad with a nice new chain and a pretty crank and with a aluminum frame and carbon fork. Not to mention crystal clear reflectors. But my favorite local bike shops had nothing in my price range so contacted BD and asked a few questions....told them what models I was interested in and my measurements. ordered my Chinese bike and I have to admit I was really nervous about it. My biggest concern was the size. But Chris at BD was dead on about what frame size I should get. Now heres where I come out as a wonderful LBS customer. Before that bike even arrived I bought at regular price from my favorite LBS a new frame pump for twenty bucks and a heavy duty lock also for twenty bucks. Oh...a bottle cage too. And I'm gonna get some new tires for the bike there too. I could have bought that stuff at Walmart ('cept tires) and saved fifteen bucks but I don't like to give them my business because as you know, they screw thier employees and the community. Believe me I wanted to get my bike at the LBS but I wanted a new bike even more. And as I understand it, it's not the bikes that make the shops money...it's the accesories that have the high margin.
Guiltless!!