View Single Post
Old 10-31-14, 07:16 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmc
Well, except that the title was "Black Solarstorm 5000LM 2X CREE XML U2 LED Front Bicycle Bike Headlight Headlamp | eBay".

Usually "lumens" are abbreviated "lm" rather than "LM", but beyond that it's pretty clear what they're trying to say -- and they're not talking about the color temperature. And if you're still not convinced, the description read "④ 2 pcs CREE XM-L U2 LED, a maximum output of 5000 lumens" -- which should remove all doubt.

Of course, we know better, and that doesn't mean that the light is a bad purchase -- I just wish they'd be honest.

That said, I just picked up a pair of what looks like these exact lights on Amazon for $21 or so each (my kids wanted something better than the P7 flashlights they had on their bikes) -- and they are indeed very, very good. Not 5000 lumens good, but very good.

... and now they're $15 each, sheesh! (Though I did pay a few dollars extra to have them come from the US so they'd get here quicker.)
I purchased one of these from Amazon. I paid $22 or so ($28 with shipping), but the extra few dollars meant I wasn't waiting for the slow boat from China to deliver the $16 version around Thanksgiving.

It arrived fully charged, so I just played around with it outside last night bud didn't get the chance to ride since I just got off a plane from Detroit. I have no doubt that any animal that jumps out in front of me on a night ride will burst into flames before I run into it. This thing is BRIGHT.

Ride report to follow after I get the chance to use it.

Cheers.